Photo by Hans Vivek on Stocksnap.io
If you are one of those people who have an Instagram account, chances are you've been using the social media platform to post selfies, videos, or any documentation about what’s happening in your life. However, Instagram isn’t only just for posting pictures or selfies — the platform also allows you to upload videos, allowing users to share more with their followers.
If you’ve already posted a video on Instagram before, you might be curious as to how long the videos you upload are allowed to be. Instagram‘s video length requirements vary quite a bit depending on the form of your post. You see, there are different length requirements for Instagram feed videos, Instagram Live, Instagram Stories, and as well as IGTV. You may feel confused by the length restrictions for the different types of Instagram videos, but don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
Every type of Instagram video length
Photo by Alexander Supertramp on Shutterstock
- Instagram Story. Instagram stories are a great way to share parts of your day with your followers. The limit for Instagram story videos can only be 15 seconds long. However, videos longer than 15 seconds will automatically be split up into separate segments, and can all be uploaded at once. You can also use a reliable editing tool like Videoleap and post the clips consecutively to create the illusion of a longer story.
- Instagram Live. When it comes to going live on Instagram, you’re only limited to 60 minutes per live stream. However, when you hit the 60-minute limit, you can record and go live again.
- Instagram Feed. If you want to post a video on your Instagram feed (main Instagram profile), videos are limited to only a minute. It can also be as short as three seconds.
- IGTV Video. Want to post on IGTV? With a 15-second starting point and a 10-minute cap, IGTV gives you a little more breathing room to publish longer videos. The upload limit extends to 60 minutes if your account is verified or you’ve got an account with lots of followers.
How to make your video length match Instagram policy
You came to upload a video on your Instagram account, only to discover that it’s too long or too short for the channel you had in mind. Don't worry, because it happened to all of us at one point or another.
Got an Instagram video length problem? Check out these few tips:
For when it’s too long
- Crop your video
- Consider chopping it up into smaller pieces and turn it into a carousel video post, creating a revolving series of videos that viewers navigate by swiping, with an expanded time limit of 10 minutes
- Once you’ve selected and spliced your clips together with an editor like Videoleap, you can use Swish’s Video maker app to add text, music, and templates to create an immersive, professional video experience and story.
For when it’s too short
- Consider using a video editing app to turn into a slow-motion video, add an intro or credit to draw out your video’s run-time.
- Consider looping it so that it plays not just once, but two or three times.